Trees `shield vulnerable flora species from climate change`
London: Forests featuring dense canopies develop a microclimate that protects many cold-adapted plant species from climate change, a new study has shown.
According to researchers, plants that favoured cooler conditions were better off better under dense canopies than in ones that were more open to the elements.
A team of international researchers asserted that the conditions may be "critical mechanism" in the conservation of forest plant diversity.
The scientists headed by scientists from Belgium said that around the Earth, climate warming is increasing the dominance of warm-adapted species - a process described as `thermophilisation.`
The team gathered information from vegetation survey from more than 1,400 plots in temperate forests across North America and Europe and then compared the findings from an original survey with a repeated survey that was carried out 34.5 years later.
They discovered that the thermophilisation of vegetation was lowest in forests which featured dense canopies.
The researchers said that these conditions offered protection to forest herbs and tree seedlings from summer drought, which decreased mortality and buffered the impacts of large-scale climate change.
The findings have been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE