68 percent turnout in Jammu Lok Sabha poll
Jammu: The turnout in Jammu Lok Sabha seat Thursday was 68 percent, but the figure is likely to rise as final reports from far-flung areas of the constituency are still awaited, an election official said.
"In the last poll, the turnout in this constituency was 49.71 percent. We have confirmed reports of 68 percent right now. This likely to go up there are some far flung areas from where reports we are still getting," chief electoral officer Umang Narula said at a media conference here.
Giving the breakup, he said the turnout in Jammu district has crossed 70 percent, in Samba it was close to 75 percent while they were awaiting the final reports from Rajouri and Poonch district.`
"The poll was completely peaceful," said Narula.
The CEO said that a a total of 2,274 polling booths were set up at 1,582 locations, of which 68 polling booths at 61 locations which were identified as critical.
He said 2,274 EVMS were located with two ballot units at each location since the number of candidates were more than 16.
"The commission had deployed five observers who were here during the polls. In addition, we deployed 201 micro observers at different polling booths. We also did webcasting from about 60 booths spread over all the districts," said Narula.
He said 81 digital cameras and video cameras were deployed while nearly 10,000 polling personnel were put on duty in these four districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened