Kirron Kher, Pawan Kumar Bansal cast votes in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kirron Kher, who are contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the Chandigarh constituency, cast their votes in the city on Thursday.
"We have done work and people have acknowledged it. Social and physical infrastructures have been developed here. Many advanced institutes have been opened and standards of schools have been improved," said Bansal after casting his vote.
Expressing confidence about BJP`s victory in Chandigarh, Kher, who was accompanied by her father, said: "I never thought my father will vote for me ever in life. It is an honor for me to come with him."
"I think all the people of this city will make BJP win with a majority of votes. Everyone should come out and cast their votes. It is very important. It is our duty to choose the right person for governance," she added.
In Chandigarh, over six lakh voters will decide the fate of 17 candidates. The battle will be interesting as the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) have fielded Bollywood actress Gul Panaag from the constituency.
Polling started at 7 am in the morning and will go on till 6 p.m. in the evening. It is being held in 11,763 polling stations.
Meanwhile, in Delhi, over 1.2 crore people are exercising their right to vote.
Voting is underway for 91 seats in 11 states. People are voting in Chhattisgarh (1), Haryana (10), Jammu and Kashmir (1), Jharkhand (5), Kerala (20), Madhya Pradesh (9), Maharashtra (10), Odisha (10), Uttar Pradesh (10), Bihar (6), Delhi (7), Andaman and Nicobar islands (1), Chandigarh (1) and Lakshadweep (1).
As many as 1419 candidates are contesting for the 91 seats. In Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district, voting will end at 3 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured