Kirron Kher, Pawan Kumar Bansal cast votes in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kirron Kher, who are contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the Chandigarh constituency, cast their votes in the city on Thursday.
"We have done work and people have acknowledged it. Social and physical infrastructures have been developed here. Many advanced institutes have been opened and standards of schools have been improved," said Bansal after casting his vote.
Expressing confidence about BJP`s victory in Chandigarh, Kher, who was accompanied by her father, said: "I never thought my father will vote for me ever in life. It is an honor for me to come with him."
"I think all the people of this city will make BJP win with a majority of votes. Everyone should come out and cast their votes. It is very important. It is our duty to choose the right person for governance," she added.
In Chandigarh, over six lakh voters will decide the fate of 17 candidates. The battle will be interesting as the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) have fielded Bollywood actress Gul Panaag from the constituency.
Polling started at 7 am in the morning and will go on till 6 p.m. in the evening. It is being held in 11,763 polling stations.
Meanwhile, in Delhi, over 1.2 crore people are exercising their right to vote.
Voting is underway for 91 seats in 11 states. People are voting in Chhattisgarh (1), Haryana (10), Jammu and Kashmir (1), Jharkhand (5), Kerala (20), Madhya Pradesh (9), Maharashtra (10), Odisha (10), Uttar Pradesh (10), Bihar (6), Delhi (7), Andaman and Nicobar islands (1), Chandigarh (1) and Lakshadweep (1).
As many as 1419 candidates are contesting for the 91 seats. In Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district, voting will end at 3 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE