Kirron Kher, Pawan Kumar Bansal cast votes in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kirron Kher, who are contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the Chandigarh constituency, cast their votes in the city on Thursday.
"We have done work and people have acknowledged it. Social and physical infrastructures have been developed here. Many advanced institutes have been opened and standards of schools have been improved," said Bansal after casting his vote.
Expressing confidence about BJP`s victory in Chandigarh, Kher, who was accompanied by her father, said: "I never thought my father will vote for me ever in life. It is an honor for me to come with him."
"I think all the people of this city will make BJP win with a majority of votes. Everyone should come out and cast their votes. It is very important. It is our duty to choose the right person for governance," she added.
In Chandigarh, over six lakh voters will decide the fate of 17 candidates. The battle will be interesting as the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) have fielded Bollywood actress Gul Panaag from the constituency.
Polling started at 7 am in the morning and will go on till 6 p.m. in the evening. It is being held in 11,763 polling stations.
Meanwhile, in Delhi, over 1.2 crore people are exercising their right to vote.
Voting is underway for 91 seats in 11 states. People are voting in Chhattisgarh (1), Haryana (10), Jammu and Kashmir (1), Jharkhand (5), Kerala (20), Madhya Pradesh (9), Maharashtra (10), Odisha (10), Uttar Pradesh (10), Bihar (6), Delhi (7), Andaman and Nicobar islands (1), Chandigarh (1) and Lakshadweep (1).
As many as 1419 candidates are contesting for the 91 seats. In Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district, voting will end at 3 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door