Narendra Modi invokes Hsuan-Tsang to connect with Buddhists of Varanasi, Sarnath
Varanasi: Aiming to connect with Buddhists of Varanasi-Sarnath region, Narendra Modi on Thursday said ancient Chinese traveller Hsuan-Tsang had visited his birthplace at Vadnagar in Gujarat.
Modi, before filing his nomination from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat today, said that Chinese traveller Hsuan-Tsang had visited his birth place at Vadnagar, which he claimed was a place bustling with Buddhists at that time.
"People used to believe that Buddhism existed only in the East, but my village testifies that it was prevalent in the West also. So my affinity towards Buddhism is connected to my birth," the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate said.
He described Baroda (Vadodara) as his `karyakshetra` (work place) and said that it was Maharaja of Baroda who had helped architect of Indian Constitution Dr B R Ambedkar to pursue education abroad.
The Gujarat Chief Minister spoke about the `Ganga Jamuni tehzeeb` (culture) of the area and prayed for strength so that he can work for the people, and so that `Kashi` (Varanasi) becomes a spiritual capital of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof