Narendra Modi invokes Hsuan-Tsang to connect with Buddhists of Varanasi, Sarnath
Varanasi: Aiming to connect with Buddhists of Varanasi-Sarnath region, Narendra Modi on Thursday said ancient Chinese traveller Hsuan-Tsang had visited his birthplace at Vadnagar in Gujarat.
Modi, before filing his nomination from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat today, said that Chinese traveller Hsuan-Tsang had visited his birth place at Vadnagar, which he claimed was a place bustling with Buddhists at that time.
"People used to believe that Buddhism existed only in the East, but my village testifies that it was prevalent in the West also. So my affinity towards Buddhism is connected to my birth," the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate said.
He described Baroda (Vadodara) as his `karyakshetra` (work place) and said that it was Maharaja of Baroda who had helped architect of Indian Constitution Dr B R Ambedkar to pursue education abroad.
The Gujarat Chief Minister spoke about the `Ganga Jamuni tehzeeb` (culture) of the area and prayed for strength so that he can work for the people, and so that `Kashi` (Varanasi) becomes a spiritual capital of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'