Goa BJP criticises PM for "silence" on mining issue
Panaji: The BJP Goa unit on Friday criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his "silence" on the issue of current mining imbroglio in the state.
"The Prime Minister is totally silent on the issue. Union government, which earned crores of rupees from this industry, is also silent on giving financial package to the people who are left helpless because of it," BJP state unit spokesman Wilfred Mesquita told reporters here.
However, when asked whether the state government has formally asked for the financial package from the Centre, he said, "You expect us to go with the begging bowl? We have already discussed the issue faced by people in the meeting with Union Finance Minister."
"Export duty in mining which was introduced by the UPA government has literally sucked blood of Goa`s mineral wealth and yet the central government is refusing to give a helping hand in rescuing thousands of mine affected workers," he added.
Mesquita said that the party has decided to take up this as one of the issues highlighting failures of UPA government during their day-long programme scheduled tomorrow, to mark the foundation day of the party.
Claiming that UPA government was meting out injustice and step-motherly treatment to Goa, the BJP leader said that they will highlight the alleged indifferent attitude and non cooperation of the Ministry of Environment and Forest and Mines towards solving the issue.
Mesquita alleged that the Centre is not supportive on the issue of starting legal mining in the state.
The Supreme Court, through its order in September last year, had temporarily stopped mining activity in the state, asking Centrally Empowered Committee (CEC) to probe into the allegations of illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!