Goa BJP criticises PM for "silence" on mining issue
Panaji: The BJP Goa unit on Friday criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his "silence" on the issue of current mining imbroglio in the state.
"The Prime Minister is totally silent on the issue. Union government, which earned crores of rupees from this industry, is also silent on giving financial package to the people who are left helpless because of it," BJP state unit spokesman Wilfred Mesquita told reporters here.
However, when asked whether the state government has formally asked for the financial package from the Centre, he said, "You expect us to go with the begging bowl? We have already discussed the issue faced by people in the meeting with Union Finance Minister."
"Export duty in mining which was introduced by the UPA government has literally sucked blood of Goa`s mineral wealth and yet the central government is refusing to give a helping hand in rescuing thousands of mine affected workers," he added.
Mesquita said that the party has decided to take up this as one of the issues highlighting failures of UPA government during their day-long programme scheduled tomorrow, to mark the foundation day of the party.
Claiming that UPA government was meting out injustice and step-motherly treatment to Goa, the BJP leader said that they will highlight the alleged indifferent attitude and non cooperation of the Ministry of Environment and Forest and Mines towards solving the issue.
Mesquita alleged that the Centre is not supportive on the issue of starting legal mining in the state.
The Supreme Court, through its order in September last year, had temporarily stopped mining activity in the state, asking Centrally Empowered Committee (CEC) to probe into the allegations of illegal mining.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read