Goa CM meets Environment Min over mining issues
New Delhi: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today met Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar and discussed the issues arising from the ban of mining activities within a kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries.
He also asked the Centre to help resolve all the key environment issues related to mining.
"In the meeting, the Goa Chief Minister requested the Centre to take initiative for rationalising mining norms within one kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries in the state," a senior Environment Ministry official told PTI.
Parrikar, who came with his team of officials, requested the Centre to work towards "resolving all environmental issues related to mining sector and eco-sensitive zones in the state", he added.
In April, the Supreme Court, in the wake of the recommendations of the Justice Shah Commission, partially lifted the 18-month-old mining ban in Goa and allowed 20 million tonnes of iron ore to be extracted annually.
Production in Goa before the ban was about 45 million tonnes a year.
The apex court had categorically said there can be no mining activities within 1 km from the boundaries of national parks and sanctuaries in Goa.
The court had banned operations in all 90 mines in Goa from September 2012 after the Shah Commission pointed out illegalities in the industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings