Goa mining firms rigged environment reports: Expert
Panaji: Every environment impact assessment (EIA) report submitted by Goa`s mining companies to the central government is rigged, ecologist Madhav Gadgil said.
Gadgil, who is in Goa to inaugurate an environment forum, has also said the reports, which are mandatory for getting permissions for mining activity, were so fudged that they even "hid" existing water bodies in the respective mining lease areas.
He said: "All the reports are filled with false declarations. Most have even denied the existence of water resources, which are likely to be affected by the mining activity."
Gadgil was a member of key committees of the environment and forests ministry which examined the environment impact assessment reports.
Iron ore mining was banned in Goa in October 2013 by the Supreme Court some months after a judicial commission exposed the Rs 35,000 crore illegal mining scam in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das