EC nod for TV channel named after Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Launched under BJP`s supervision and carrying Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s initials, the new `NaMo Gujarat` television channel on Friday got the Election Commission`s nod but with some riders in the election-bound state where model code of conduct is in force.
The new TV channel was launched a day after the announcement of the Assembly Election schedule in the state, only to be shut within a day on October 05, pending clearances.
The Commission has now cleared the channel launch but has put certain conditions for monitoring political advertisements and possible paid news on the channel during the election period, highly placed sources in the EC told a news agency.
The poll body gave its nod after the District Electoral Officer of Ahmedabad, where the channel is headquartered, had sought the EC`s permission before granting licence to it.
Imposing certain conditions on the channel, the Commission said all political advertisements relayed during election period will have to be first cleared by Media Certification and Monitoring Committee (MCMC) before telecast. It also asked the DEO to ensure that all relevant provisions of the Model Code of Conduct are strictly adhered to by the channel.
Permitting reporting of campaigns in a `newsworthy` manner the EC said that "when in the garb of news, the campaign becomes publicity or advertisement for a candidate, it is to be examined by the Committee as case of suspected paid news."
For the `NaMo Gujarat` channel, the state BJP unit has partnered with five local Gujarati satellite channels in the state to broadcast its contents, highlighting Modi`s development initiatives and will be aired by all cable networks, direct-to-home (DTH) and digital TV viewers.
The project has been launched under supervision of state Industries Minister Saurabh Patel and BJP`s Parindu Bhagat, both close aides of the chief minister.
`NaMo` is named after Narendra Modi`s initials and also means "bowing down" in Gujarati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Insult to Prophet Mohammad: Dispose off case against Hindu Mahasabha leader in 4 weeks, SC tells Allahabad HC
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology
- Delhi HC rejects plea against Raj Thackeray's security cover
- Eleven Turkish police killed in bombing blamed on PKK