EC nod for TV channel named after Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Launched under BJP`s supervision and carrying Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s initials, the new `NaMo Gujarat` television channel on Friday got the Election Commission`s nod but with some riders in the election-bound state where model code of conduct is in force.
The new TV channel was launched a day after the announcement of the Assembly Election schedule in the state, only to be shut within a day on October 05, pending clearances.
The Commission has now cleared the channel launch but has put certain conditions for monitoring political advertisements and possible paid news on the channel during the election period, highly placed sources in the EC told a news agency.
The poll body gave its nod after the District Electoral Officer of Ahmedabad, where the channel is headquartered, had sought the EC`s permission before granting licence to it.
Imposing certain conditions on the channel, the Commission said all political advertisements relayed during election period will have to be first cleared by Media Certification and Monitoring Committee (MCMC) before telecast. It also asked the DEO to ensure that all relevant provisions of the Model Code of Conduct are strictly adhered to by the channel.
Permitting reporting of campaigns in a `newsworthy` manner the EC said that "when in the garb of news, the campaign becomes publicity or advertisement for a candidate, it is to be examined by the Committee as case of suspected paid news."
For the `NaMo Gujarat` channel, the state BJP unit has partnered with five local Gujarati satellite channels in the state to broadcast its contents, highlighting Modi`s development initiatives and will be aired by all cable networks, direct-to-home (DTH) and digital TV viewers.
The project has been launched under supervision of state Industries Minister Saurabh Patel and BJP`s Parindu Bhagat, both close aides of the chief minister.
`NaMo` is named after Narendra Modi`s initials and also means "bowing down" in Gujarati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test