EC nod for TV channel named after Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Launched under BJP`s supervision and carrying Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s initials, the new `NaMo Gujarat` television channel on Friday got the Election Commission`s nod but with some riders in the election-bound state where model code of conduct is in force.
The new TV channel was launched a day after the announcement of the Assembly Election schedule in the state, only to be shut within a day on October 05, pending clearances.
The Commission has now cleared the channel launch but has put certain conditions for monitoring political advertisements and possible paid news on the channel during the election period, highly placed sources in the EC told a news agency.
The poll body gave its nod after the District Electoral Officer of Ahmedabad, where the channel is headquartered, had sought the EC`s permission before granting licence to it.
Imposing certain conditions on the channel, the Commission said all political advertisements relayed during election period will have to be first cleared by Media Certification and Monitoring Committee (MCMC) before telecast. It also asked the DEO to ensure that all relevant provisions of the Model Code of Conduct are strictly adhered to by the channel.
Permitting reporting of campaigns in a `newsworthy` manner the EC said that "when in the garb of news, the campaign becomes publicity or advertisement for a candidate, it is to be examined by the Committee as case of suspected paid news."
For the `NaMo Gujarat` channel, the state BJP unit has partnered with five local Gujarati satellite channels in the state to broadcast its contents, highlighting Modi`s development initiatives and will be aired by all cable networks, direct-to-home (DTH) and digital TV viewers.
The project has been launched under supervision of state Industries Minister Saurabh Patel and BJP`s Parindu Bhagat, both close aides of the chief minister.
`NaMo` is named after Narendra Modi`s initials and also means "bowing down" in Gujarati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader