Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Heart disease is the number one cause of death in both men and women. Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, killing over 370,000 people annually.
As per a World Health Organisation (WHO) report, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) would be the largest cause of death and disability in India by 2020. Here are some facts which you should know about heart diseases:
- Changing lifestyle pattern, coupled with lack of physical exercise has put 74 per cent of urban Indians at risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases (CVD), a recent study has revealed.
- According to current estimates, India will soon have the highest number of cases of cardiovascular disease in the world and it is estimated to account for 35.9% deaths by the year 2030.
- Heart diseases have emerged as the number one killer for Indian women, they account for 15 % of the global burden of heart disease which kills about 15 million people every year. Till recent times, it was believed that heart diseases are mostly confined to males, but statistics have established that cardiac ailments are claiming more women.
- Urban Indian population is more at the risk of being diagnosed with heart disease mainly due to unhealthy eating habits, lack of physical activity and stress. Also more and more young Indians are suffering from coronary artery disease, owing to their poor lifestyle.
- People who have children are less likely to die of heart-related problems, according to a study suggesting that infertility may be a potential early warning sign of future heart trouble in men.
- Sedentary lifestyle and physical inactivity doubles the risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity which further increases the chances of developing cardiovascular disease,