Have more kids to slow down ageing!
Toronto: If you want to live long, don't shy away from going for more kids. According to an interesting study, the number of children born to a woman influences the rate at which her body ages.
The findings showed that women who gave birth to more number of children, exhibited longer telomeres -- protective tips found at the end of each DNA strand and indicative of cellular ageing.
Longer telomeres are integral to cell replication and are associated with longevity.
The study assessed the number of children born to 75 women from two neighbouring indigenous rural Guatemalan communities and their telomere lengths.
The participants' telomere lengths were measured twice -- at 13 years apart -- through salivary specimens and buccal swabs.
“The findings contradict life history theory which predicts that producing a higher number of offspring accelerates the pace of biological aging,” said Pablo Nepomnaschy, health sciences professor from Simon Fraser University, in a statement.
“The slower pace of telomere shortening found in the participants who have more children, however, may be attributed to the dramatic increase in estrogen -- a hormone produced during pregnancy,” Nepomnaschy added.
Estrogen functions as a potent antioxidant that protects cells against telomere shortening.
The social environment that the study participants live in may also influence the relationship between their reproductive efforts and the pace of ageing, added the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LIVE Brexit fallout: Europe triggers sell-off, Sensex falls over 100 points
- Euro 2016: France beat Ireland 2-1; Germany thrash Slovakia 3-0; Belgium crush Hungary 4-0
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav expands Cabinet for 7th time, Balram Yadav re-inducted
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside