Emergency tips to survive an asthma attack without inhaler!
If you forget your inhaler due to negligence or unforseen circumstances, follow these emergency guidelines.
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Living with asthma can be tough and terrifying. But the good thing is that there are ways that can help reduce your symptoms and risk of having an asthma attack.
An asthma occurs when the airways in the lungs become swollen or inflamed and are blocked by mucus, making breathing difficult. The chest tightens and the lungs seem to produce a wheezing sound.
If you have asthma, you probably would never go out without your inhaler. But, if you forget your inhaler due to negligence or unforeseen circumstances, follow these emergency guidelines:
- Sit up right and don't lie down – Bending over or lying down can constrict your breathing even more.
- Stay calm – Maintain calm and not to panic is the best in such situation. Staying calm also prevents further tightening of your chest muscles and makes your breathing easier.
- Take long, deep breaths – Taking long, deep breaths may help to slow down your breathing. Try to breathe in through your nose and breathe out through your mouth.
- Drink hot caffeinated drinks – Taking hot caffeinated drinks like coffee can help relax the airways, providing some temporary relief.
- Avoid asthma triggers – An asthma attack could be triggered by exposure to dust, cigarette smoke or smell of other chemicals. Move away from triggers and go to a place with clean air.
- Seek medical help – Seek immediate medical help if the attack does not subside after some time.