Himachal seeks help for better infrastructure on China border
New Delhi: Himachal Pradesh on Wednesday sought central assistance to strengthen civil and military infrastructure in its areas along the border with China.
Raising the issue in the chief ministers` meet on internal security here, Health and Family Welfare Minister Kaul Singh requested the central government to provide liberal financial assistance to strengthen police and civil establishments in Kinnaur and Lahaul-Spiti districts, which fall along the Indo-Tibet border.
He requested the union government to enhance financial allocations under the Border Area Development Programme.
Pleading that a broad-gauge rail line be built to link Manali with Leh in Jammu and Kashmir, he said this would help in transporting men and material to border areas of Ladakh, which are strategically important from the security point of view.
He also demanded 100 percent funding for police for equipping forces with high-altitude mountain gear and disaster management equipment to tackle natural disasters.
Singh also demanded reimbursement of the entire expenditure on security for Tibetan spiritual leaders the Dalai Lama and the 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje, who reside in Dharamsala, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
He said that at present only a part of expenditure of the Dalai Lama is being reimbursed by the Ministry of External Affairs while the entire expenditure on the security of the Karmapa is being borne by the state.
He said the state would set up a Tibetan refugee unit in the state intelligence department, and a Tibetan refugee cell in Dharamsala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters