MEA 'reviews' Akshay Kumar-starrer 'Airlift', calls it 'great entertainment, short on facts'
New Delhi: While Akshay Kumar-starrer 'Airlift' is receiving applause for its sharply woven plot revolving around 1990's Kuwait evacuation, the Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday threw some light on the facts that the movie missed out on.
Taking to Twitter, MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup called the film a "great entertainment but rather short on facts".
"This is a film and films often take liberties with actual events, facts. This particular film has also taken artistic liberties in the depiction of the events as it actually happened in Kuwait in 1990," Swarup said.
— Vikas Swarup (@MEAIndia) January 28, 2016
He said those who remember the 1990 evacuation would also know the "very proactive" role that the MEA played.
He mentioned that official delegation was sent to Baghdad and Kuwait and that tremendous coordination was put in place with the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Air India and a host of other government departments.
"I myself can vouch for this as I myself was on the front-lines of evacuating Indians from Kuwait who were coming into Turkey via Syria," Swarup said.
In the film, the MEA has been shown as lacking a proactive approach.
He said that those who may not remember the 1990 evacuation, would certainly remember the more recent evacuations that the MEA had coordinated from Iraq, Libya, Yemen and Ukraine.
"We do hope that the film will inspire people to read more about the actual events that took place and the very proactive role that MEA has always played in safeguarding the interest, concerns and security of Indian citizens who live and work abroad," he said.
Swarup pointed out that the fact that such a theme has been selected for a film shows how important this is.
"We in the MEA consider the protection of Indian citizens abroad as among our foremost responsibilities. We have proved this in the past and shall continue to do so in the future as well," he said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing