Afzal Guru should ‘pay price’, says Farooq
Jammu: The final decision on Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s mercy petition rests with the President, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Saturday said and asserted that anybody working against India "must pay the price" for it.
"The mercy petition is lying with the President of India. It is now for the President to give her consent -- wait till the consent comes," Abdullah said.
"As an Indian, anybody who has worked against India must pay the price for it," the Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy said outside the Assembly.
On Moderate Hurriyat Conference Chairman, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq`s alleged provocative speech at Jamia Masjid recently, Abdullah said, "India is a free country. In this free country, everybody has a freedom of speech".
The minister, however, said "there is no freedom of speech against territorial integrity of the country. I will not tolerate this because of being an Indian".
"Whether it is Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq or Farooq Abdullah -- all are Indians. We have some issues with the Centre which we want to solve," he said.
On State Accountability Commission`s notices to several state ministers including the chief minister, Abdullah said "there are names of everybody, let them prove, I am not bothered what they are going to do, I am not worried".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa