Amarnath yatra curtailment: Protest continues
Jammu: Pilgrims protesting curtailment of Amarnath Yatra duration on Tuesday burned effigy of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, who is also the chairman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
Led by VHP leader Sunrinder Jain, the pilgrims burned Vohra`s effigy and reiterated their demand that the government should extend the duration of the yatra to two months as against 39 days fixed by SASB.
Raising anti-government slogans, the agitators threatened to launch a nation-wide protest over the issue.
"This protest will not stop here, we will take it to the national level. We will appeal to the President, the Prime Minister, the Home Minister to resolve the issue. Vohra has lost his credibilty...We will seek his removal," Jain said.
The agitators later courted arrest in protest against curtailment of the yatra duration.
Due to inclement weather and lack of arrangement for the pilgrims, SASB has restricted pilgrimage to the cave shrine to 39 days, beginning from June 25.
However, the pilgrims accused the JK government and SASB of deliberately trying to curtail the period of the pilgrimage at the "behest of separatist forces".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP