Amarnath yatra curtailment: Protest continues
Jammu: Pilgrims protesting curtailment of Amarnath Yatra duration on Tuesday burned effigy of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, who is also the chairman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
Led by VHP leader Sunrinder Jain, the pilgrims burned Vohra`s effigy and reiterated their demand that the government should extend the duration of the yatra to two months as against 39 days fixed by SASB.
Raising anti-government slogans, the agitators threatened to launch a nation-wide protest over the issue.
"This protest will not stop here, we will take it to the national level. We will appeal to the President, the Prime Minister, the Home Minister to resolve the issue. Vohra has lost his credibilty...We will seek his removal," Jain said.
The agitators later courted arrest in protest against curtailment of the yatra duration.
Due to inclement weather and lack of arrangement for the pilgrims, SASB has restricted pilgrimage to the cave shrine to 39 days, beginning from June 25.
However, the pilgrims accused the JK government and SASB of deliberately trying to curtail the period of the pilgrimage at the "behest of separatist forces".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India