Amarnath yatra curtailment: Protest continues
Jammu: Pilgrims protesting curtailment of Amarnath Yatra duration on Tuesday burned effigy of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, who is also the chairman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
Led by VHP leader Sunrinder Jain, the pilgrims burned Vohra`s effigy and reiterated their demand that the government should extend the duration of the yatra to two months as against 39 days fixed by SASB.
Raising anti-government slogans, the agitators threatened to launch a nation-wide protest over the issue.
"This protest will not stop here, we will take it to the national level. We will appeal to the President, the Prime Minister, the Home Minister to resolve the issue. Vohra has lost his credibilty...We will seek his removal," Jain said.
The agitators later courted arrest in protest against curtailment of the yatra duration.
Due to inclement weather and lack of arrangement for the pilgrims, SASB has restricted pilgrimage to the cave shrine to 39 days, beginning from June 25.
However, the pilgrims accused the JK government and SASB of deliberately trying to curtail the period of the pilgrimage at the "behest of separatist forces".
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala