Army, NGO give boy with heart disease a new life
Jammu: Army`s Rashtriya Rifles and an NGO came to the rescue of a child suffering from Congenital Heart Disease, who got a fresh lease of life after a successful surgery was conducted on him here.
According to a defence spokesman, the Rastriya Rifles located in Bhadarwah under the aegis of Headquarter Counter Insurgency Force (Delta) on Friday welcomed and facilitated Amit Kotwal, son of Vijay Kotwal of Gutasa (Bhadarwah), after being successfully operated for CHD at Hero Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana.
Amit was operated upon last week for surgical closure of Ventricular Septal Defect and the expenditure was borne by the Army and NGO "Have a Heart".
Ventricular septal defect is a hole in the wall between the right and left ventricles of the heart.
"In order to assist the locals, the Army in collaboration with an NGO `Have a Heart` organised state-of-the-art medical facilities for the surgery and treatment of the child as well as boarding and lodging facilities in Ludhiana," the spokesman said.
The entire expenditure on the surgery of the child was approximately Rs 2 lakh, including Rs 15,000 for travel, accommodation and boarding, the spokesman added.
Amit was identified during one of the medical camps organised by the Army in Bharowa in the district this year.
His case was taken up with `Have a Heart` foundation with an aim of sponsoring the heart surgery, the spokesman said.
Vijay Kotwal, who had given up all hopes of taking his son beyond Jammu for treatment due to financial constraints and had left Amit`s health to destiny, thanked the Army and NGO for extending help to them at the felicitation ceremony today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!