Execution of Afzal Guru `indecent`: Tarigami
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) today demanded that mortal remains of Mohammad Afzal Guru be handed over to his family, even as it termed the execution of the Parliament attack convict as "indecent".
"It is unfortunate that the family of Guru was not informed prior to his execution well in time and the burial was carried out in a hush-hush manner. We demand the body of Guru be returned to his family for his last rites," state secretary of CPI(M) M Y Tarigami said in a statement here.
Tarigami alleged that the execution of Guru had shown New Delhi is continuing with its flawed policy of denial of justice for the people in Kashmir.
"There is a general grouse among the people of Jammu and Kashmir that the central government has always treated them differently at all levels of legal nitty-gritties. The way execution of Guru was carried out has vindicated the apprehensions of people," he said.
Tarigami said the process of execution of Guru was "indecent" and the act has "left bare the mindset at New Delhi that could not hold basic decency of a democratic set-up and legal requirements in dealing with an issue full of serious political ramifications for Jammu and Kashmir".
"The execution of Guru has been carried out keeping narrow interests in consideration and the sensitivities of Jammu and Kashmir have not been paid a heed before finalising the decision," he said.
There are apprehensions that the execution may encourage tendencies which are not supportive of the peace process cultivated after huge efforts and investment, he said, adding, the party in principle stands against capital punishment and it had been a consistent demand to commute death sentence of Guru into life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok