IED detected on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted through timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway at Qazigund in Kashmir, Army officials said on Sunday.
"A major tragedy was averted with the timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), planted by terrorists near the strategically vital Qazigund town yesterday morning," a defence spokesman said.
He said the troops of 9 Rashtriya Rifles Battalion detected the IED containing high explosive material wrapped in a polythene package, which was planted in a roadside drain.
The traffic was halted on both sides of national highway to prevent any loss of life and property in the vicinity of the site, the spokesman said.
Initial chemical analysis of the blast site by the Bomb Disposal Squad revealed the presence of high explosive Penta-Erythrolyte Tetra-Nitrate (PETN) in the IED, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH