IED detected on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted through timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway at Qazigund in Kashmir, Army officials said on Sunday.
"A major tragedy was averted with the timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), planted by terrorists near the strategically vital Qazigund town yesterday morning," a defence spokesman said.
He said the troops of 9 Rashtriya Rifles Battalion detected the IED containing high explosive material wrapped in a polythene package, which was planted in a roadside drain.
The traffic was halted on both sides of national highway to prevent any loss of life and property in the vicinity of the site, the spokesman said.
Initial chemical analysis of the blast site by the Bomb Disposal Squad revealed the presence of high explosive Penta-Erythrolyte Tetra-Nitrate (PETN) in the IED, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know