IED detected on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted through timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway at Qazigund in Kashmir, Army officials said on Sunday.
"A major tragedy was averted with the timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), planted by terrorists near the strategically vital Qazigund town yesterday morning," a defence spokesman said.
He said the troops of 9 Rashtriya Rifles Battalion detected the IED containing high explosive material wrapped in a polythene package, which was planted in a roadside drain.
The traffic was halted on both sides of national highway to prevent any loss of life and property in the vicinity of the site, the spokesman said.
Initial chemical analysis of the blast site by the Bomb Disposal Squad revealed the presence of high explosive Penta-Erythrolyte Tetra-Nitrate (PETN) in the IED, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside