Inform cops about J&K customers` multiple SIM from Feb 1: DoT
New Delhi: Any customer applying for a second mobile connection in Jammu and Kashmir will be under police scrutiny from February one.
In case police fails to submit its reply within next 10 days, the Telecom operator can issue the second connection, a Department of Telecommunication (DoT) communication to telecom operators in the state said.
Besides, public sector undertaking BSNL other operators in the state are Airtel, Aircel, Vodafone and Idea.
DoT issued the letter to telecom operators asking them to refer to police the application form of Jammu and Kashmir customers already having one active mobile connection.
"TSP (Telecom Service Providers) shall make a reference to local police for their clearance," DoT said in its letter instructing them to follow a particular process before activating the other connection.
This new rule will be applicable along with existing norms issued in August 2012 that directs Telecom Service Providers (TSP) not to issue any fresh connection to customers already having six mobile connections in a circle either from one or multiple service providers.
"In case the TSP does not receive any reply from police within 10 days, it can activate the second connection as per the procedure applicable for providing mobile connection after calling on first number for cross verification," the letter said.
From third connection onwards, TSP will have to conduct physical verification of the subscriber for cross verification of the information provided by the customer, if the TSP does not receive any reply from police within 10 days, it said.
At the end of every month, TSP will have to separately report to Law Enforcement Agency, state police and state TERM cell, the DoT body which monitors compliance by TSPs, about second or multiple connections given by it to customers in the state.
The customers will also have to provide reason for buying new connection and their business, office and e-mail will have to be indicated in the application form, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal