Inform cops about J&K customers` multiple SIM from Feb 1: DoT
New Delhi: Any customer applying for a second mobile connection in Jammu and Kashmir will be under police scrutiny from February one.
In case police fails to submit its reply within next 10 days, the Telecom operator can issue the second connection, a Department of Telecommunication (DoT) communication to telecom operators in the state said.
Besides, public sector undertaking BSNL other operators in the state are Airtel, Aircel, Vodafone and Idea.
DoT issued the letter to telecom operators asking them to refer to police the application form of Jammu and Kashmir customers already having one active mobile connection.
"TSP (Telecom Service Providers) shall make a reference to local police for their clearance," DoT said in its letter instructing them to follow a particular process before activating the other connection.
This new rule will be applicable along with existing norms issued in August 2012 that directs Telecom Service Providers (TSP) not to issue any fresh connection to customers already having six mobile connections in a circle either from one or multiple service providers.
"In case the TSP does not receive any reply from police within 10 days, it can activate the second connection as per the procedure applicable for providing mobile connection after calling on first number for cross verification," the letter said.
From third connection onwards, TSP will have to conduct physical verification of the subscriber for cross verification of the information provided by the customer, if the TSP does not receive any reply from police within 10 days, it said.
At the end of every month, TSP will have to separately report to Law Enforcement Agency, state police and state TERM cell, the DoT body which monitors compliance by TSPs, about second or multiple connections given by it to customers in the state.
The customers will also have to provide reason for buying new connection and their business, office and e-mail will have to be indicated in the application form, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'