J&K Cabinet reshuffle: Omar drops eight ministers, inducts 10 new faces
Jammu: In a far-reaching reshuffle of his cabinet, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday inducted ten new faces after dropping eight ministers, seven from his National Conference (NC) and one from coalition partner, the Congress.
Days after completing four years in office, the 42-year-old Omar undertook this major overhaul of his team which included shifting of two of his closest aides, Davinder Singh Rana, his political adviser, and Nasir Wani, Minister of State for Home and Tourism, who have been made provincial Presidents of National Conference for Jammu and Kashmir respectively.
Jammu and Kashmir, the only state where the legislative Assembly has a six-year tenure, is due to go to polls before December 2014 and Omar made it clear that this would be his ministerial team all the way to the elections barring anything unforeseen.
Besides Wani, others dropped were Surjit Singh Slathia, Qamar Ali Akhoon, Abdul Gani Malik, Aga Syed Ruhulla Mehdi, Javid Ahmad Dar of NC and Rajinder Singh Chib of Congress in the first reshuffle carried out by Omar after assuming the office of Chief Minister on January five, 2009.
Those included in the council of Ministers were Chowdhary Mohammed Ramzan, Mir Saifullah, Ajay Sadotra, state Assembly speaker Mohammed Akbar Lone, Sajjad Ahmed Kichloo, Feroz Ahmed and Nazir Ahmed Khan from NC and Ghulam Ahmed Mir, Vikar Rasool Wani and Abdul Majid Wani from Congress.
"I don`t expect to see any changes in the team before the polls in 2014 barring anything unforeseen," Omar said after the reshuffle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks