J&K gets aid to acquire land for road scheme
Srinagar: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has announced Rs.710-crore financial aid to Jammu and Kashmir to help it acquire land for the rural roads scheme, making it the first state in the country to get such assistance.
The prime minister made the announcement after co-chairing a state cabinet meeting at the Sher-e-Kashmir convention complex on the edge of the Dal Lake here Tuesday evening.
So far, there has been no provision under the centre`s Pradhan Mantri Grameen Sadak Yojna (PMGSY) for offering assistance to any state to acquire land for improving rural roads.
The country-wide PMGSY programme has been facing hurdles in Jammu and Kashmir because of land acquisition problems. People in villages have been refusing to part with their ancestral lands without payment at prevalent land rates to them as compensation.
Of around 10,000 km of road length covered under the PMGSY, road building work had to be suspended for 2,000 km because of land acquisition problems, an official said.
Sources in the state cabinet said the prime minister asked the state government to improve its financial base to meet future challenges.
The prime minister, they said, told the state cabinet that the centre had been bending rules to provide financial assistance to Jammu and Kashmir, but the state would have to arrange its own finances in future.
The progress of the prime minister`s Rs.37,000-crore reconstruction package was also reviewed at Wednesday`s meeting where Chief Minister Omar Abdullah gave a power point presentation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow