J&K remains in grip of cold wave, Leh at minus 12 deg C
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir continued to be in the grip of cold wave as Leh in Ladakh region recorded a low of minus 12 degrees Celsius Friday night.
Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, witnessed a slight improvement in the night temperature as the mercury rose to minus 2.1 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 2.6 degrees Celsius, a MeT Department official said.
He said the minimum temperature in Srinagar was 2.5 degrees below the normal for this part of the season and it continued to remain below the freezing point for the fifth consecutive day.
Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, continues to be the coldest place in the state. The town, 434 kms from here, recorded a low of minus 12.0 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 11.0 degrees Celsius, he said.
The nearby Kargil town was the second coldest place in the state with a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius, he said.
Pahalgam, a health resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, recorded a low of minus 4.6 degrees Celsius, while the famous ski resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius.
He said Kupwara, Kokernag and Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, also registered sub zero temperatures last night.
The MeT Department has forecast mainly dry weather across Kashmir division over the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day