Mercury dips to minus 18 in Leh
Srinagar: With clear night skies across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region Friday, the minimum temperature continued to dip with Leh town recording a bone-chilling minus 17.8 degrees, the lowest so far this season.
"The minimum temperature fell to the lowest so far this season in Leh town. It was minus 17.8 degrees," Sonam Lotus, Director of the Regional Meteorological office, said.
"Srinagar city recorded minus 1.2 degrees while the north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg also recorded the lowest this season so far. Gulmarg witnessed a night temperature of minus 12 degrees while it was minus 8.2 degrees today (Friday)," he added.
Severe cold wave conditions have again started in the valley after a respite Tuesday and Wednesday when the mountains received fresh snowfall and light rain lashed the plains here.
"The present weather conditions will continue for at least five to six more days," Lotus said.
Even though the 40-day long severe winter period known as Chillai Kalan started here Wednesday, locals are disappointed with the absence of snowfall in the plains so far.
"I remember my childhood - long boots, frozen lakes, icicles and tonnes of snow. It is unbelievable to see bright sunshine in Chillai Kalan and no snow, no icicles and yet the severest cold," said Bashir Ahmad War of north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city