National Saffron Mission in J&K progressing well
Srinagar: Over 900 hectares of land have been rejuvenated as part of the National Mission on Saffron in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, Director Agriculture Farooq Ahmad Lone has said.
"Under the National Saffron Mission, more than 900 hectares have been completed under rejuvenation during the current year and assistance shall be given for beneficiaries by the end of this month after the verification process is completed," Lone said.
He was briefing Commissioner/Secretary of the state Agriculture production department, Shaleen Kabra on the progress of the Saffron Mission yesterday.
Kabra visited Saffron growing villages of Pampore, 16 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway to review implementation of the scheme.
He inspected the fields rejuvenated under the mission at Konibal, Dusoo.
While interacting with the saffron growers, he was informed that the technology mission has helped in increasing productivity of saffron.
It has also helped in harvesting of flowers in first year itself as against two to three years taken for the traditional mode of cultivation, an official spokesman said.
Regarding irrigation, Lone said the works pertaining to harnessing of wells and construction of RCC storage tanks have been tendered out and are expected to be completed by March next year.
The Agriculture Production Commissioner also visited the site identified for setting up Saffron Park and quality control lab under the Mission at Village Dusoo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'