Physically challenged protesters detained in J&K
Srinagar: About a dozen physically challenged people were detained as police foiled their attempts to take out a rally towards the residence of Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah here today.
On the occasion of World Disability Day, Jammu and Kashmir Handicapped Association (JKHA) members, including children, held a protest at press enclave against the "non-serious` approach of the state government in addressing the genuine problems of persons with disabilities.
"All the states are providing constructive schemes for the welfare and upliftment of the disabled people, but the government of Jammu and Kashmir has badly failed to provide assistance and welfare schemes to such people here," president, JKHA, Kashmir, Abdul Rashid Bhat said.
"We demand our rights be upheld and the schemes for handicapped persons be implemented without delay," he said.
As the members tried to take out a rally towards the chief minister`s residence in the high security area of Gupkar, police detained about a dozen of them.
Bhat threatened that the association would launch a state-wide agitation against the government in case it fails to implement the schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway