Tremors prompt avalanche alert in Bhaderwah
Bhaderwah (J&K): An avalanche alert has been issued for people living in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after tremors shook the valley in Doda district on Wednesday.
"We have alerted people living in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and Chater-gala hills in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after three tremors shook the valley," police said.
Over 10,000 inhabitants occupy the Thanhala belt in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and the Chater-gala hills.
The tremors, measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted between 12:27 pm and 12:34 pm with officials saying that the quake had its epicentre in the district`s New Thathri area.
The tremors prompted people to rush outside buildings and shops for safety.
Initial reports said that some six buildings, including two schools, have developed cracks as a result of the quake.
However, there were no immediate reports of any casualties, police said.
A quake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale had been felt in the afternoon yesterday in the valley and adjoining areas of Doda district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery