Tremors prompt avalanche alert in Bhaderwah
Bhaderwah (J&K): An avalanche alert has been issued for people living in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after tremors shook the valley in Doda district on Wednesday.
"We have alerted people living in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and Chater-gala hills in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after three tremors shook the valley," police said.
Over 10,000 inhabitants occupy the Thanhala belt in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and the Chater-gala hills.
The tremors, measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted between 12:27 pm and 12:34 pm with officials saying that the quake had its epicentre in the district`s New Thathri area.
The tremors prompted people to rush outside buildings and shops for safety.
Initial reports said that some six buildings, including two schools, have developed cracks as a result of the quake.
However, there were no immediate reports of any casualties, police said.
A quake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale had been felt in the afternoon yesterday in the valley and adjoining areas of Doda district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley
- Watch: Mouni Roy, Sanjeeda Sheikh's crazy 'Afghan Jalebi' act will make your day!
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs