Tremors prompt avalanche alert in Bhaderwah
Bhaderwah (J&K): An avalanche alert has been issued for people living in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after tremors shook the valley in Doda district on Wednesday.
"We have alerted people living in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and Chater-gala hills in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after three tremors shook the valley," police said.
Over 10,000 inhabitants occupy the Thanhala belt in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and the Chater-gala hills.
The tremors, measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted between 12:27 pm and 12:34 pm with officials saying that the quake had its epicentre in the district`s New Thathri area.
The tremors prompted people to rush outside buildings and shops for safety.
Initial reports said that some six buildings, including two schools, have developed cracks as a result of the quake.
However, there were no immediate reports of any casualties, police said.
A quake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale had been felt in the afternoon yesterday in the valley and adjoining areas of Doda district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey detains almost 300 presidential guards: Official
- SC notice to EC on procedure for unseating lawmaker upon conviction
- Communal clash in Gujarat kills one
- IAF's AN-32 transport aircraft with 29 on board goes missing; massive search operation launched
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1