Tremors prompt avalanche alert in Bhaderwah
Bhaderwah (J&K): An avalanche alert has been issued for people living in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after tremors shook the valley in Doda district on Wednesday.
"We have alerted people living in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and Chater-gala hills in the Bhaderwah-Chamba border belt after three tremors shook the valley," police said.
Over 10,000 inhabitants occupy the Thanhala belt in the foothills of the Ashapati glacier and the Chater-gala hills.
The tremors, measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted between 12:27 pm and 12:34 pm with officials saying that the quake had its epicentre in the district`s New Thathri area.
The tremors prompted people to rush outside buildings and shops for safety.
Initial reports said that some six buildings, including two schools, have developed cracks as a result of the quake.
However, there were no immediate reports of any casualties, police said.
A quake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale had been felt in the afternoon yesterday in the valley and adjoining areas of Doda district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur