Average asset of Karnataka MLAs goes up by nearly Rs 10 crore
Bangalore: Average asset of recontesting MLAs in the May five
assembly elections has nearly doubled and rose by about Rs ten crore compared to five years ago in Karnataka, according to two NGOs tracking the trend.
Based on candidates` affidavit filed with nomination papers, Karnataka Election Watch (KEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms analysed 179 outgoing MLAs who are contesting again in the poll, less than two weeks away.
The average asset of these 179 re-contesting MLAs fielded by various parties in 2008 was Rs 10.59 crore, which has now zoomed to Rs 19.87 crore, up Rs 9.27 crore in the past five years, or a growth of 88 per cent.
D K Shivakumar of the Congress from Kanakapura segment has declared maximum increase in assets with an increase of Rs 175.91 crore -- from Rs 75.59 crore in 2008 to Rs 251.50 crore in 2013.
Assets of Priya Krishna (Congress-Govindrajanagar) increased by Rs 143.36 crore, from Rs 767.61 crore in 2008 to Rs 910.98 crore in 2013, and that of Santhosh Lad (Congress-Kalaghatgi) from Rs 61.54 crore to Rs 186.40 crore.
Eight MLAs have reported decrease in assets in 2013 as compared to the value of their assets five years ago.
Among them the highest decrease has been shown by B K Sangameshwara (72 per cent decline in assets; Rs 5.38 crore in 2008 to Rs 1.66 crore in 2013). (Incidentally, the Congress has denied ticket to Sangameshwara, who is now seeking re-election from Bhadravati as an independent).
He is followed by Higher Education Minister C T Ravi (BJP-Chikmagalur) (54 per cent reduction in assets, from Rs 7.85 crore in 2008 to Rs 3.59 crore in 2013).
The highest percentage increase (210.51 per cent) in assets has been declared by Ramanatha Rai of Congress from Bantwal. His assets increased from Rs 1.71 lakh to Rs 3.62 crore,according to the NGOs.
Sports Minister Appachu Ranjan (Madikeri) came second, declaring an increase in assets of 57.52 per cent, from Rs 18.20 lakh to Rs 10.65 crore in 2013 (He did not provide Rupee value for six motor vehicles, jewellery and immovable assets), as per the analysis by the NGOs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why