Achuthanandan continues his tirade against Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Continuing his tirade against Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the palmolein import case of 1992, Leader of Opposition in Kerala Assembly VS Achuthanandan on Friday alleged that the Special Prosecutor in
the case had to resign due to pressure from the government.
Talking to reporters here, the CPI-M veteran, who
initiated the case way back in 1996, said, if Chandy thinks
that the case could be washed away with the resignation of
Special Prosecutor, then Chandy was day dreaming.
"I will try to become a respondent in the case in the
trial court to bring out the truth behind the deal` which
happened when Chandy was the Finance Minister in the UDF
Ministry headed by late K Karunakaran."
Referring to the vigilance probe report that gave a clean
chit to Chandy in the case, Achuthanandan said Vigilance
Department was part of the UDF Government headed by Chandy.
"This was for the first time in the history of the state,
Vigilance prepared a forged document to save its master", he
The Special Prosecutor, PA Ahmed, appointed by CPI-M led
LDF government, resigned from the post yesterday expressing
"dissatisfaction" over the conclusion of a further probe
report of Vigilance which gave a clean chit to Chandy in the
The further investigation ordered by a special court last
year focused on whether Chandy had any role in the deal. The
report by the Vigilance last month had found that Chandy had
no role in palmolein import corruption case.
In its report filed at a special court in Thrissur, the
Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau said its probe did not
come across any proof that suggested Chandy`s role in the
The case related to the import of 32,000 tonnes of
palmolein from Malayasia in 1992 allegedly causing a loss of
Rs 2.32 crores to the exchequer.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'