Achuthanandan continues his tirade against Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Continuing his tirade against Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the palmolein import case of 1992, Leader of Opposition in Kerala Assembly VS Achuthanandan on Friday alleged that the Special Prosecutor in
the case had to resign due to pressure from the government.
Talking to reporters here, the CPI-M veteran, who
initiated the case way back in 1996, said, if Chandy thinks
that the case could be washed away with the resignation of
Special Prosecutor, then Chandy was day dreaming.
"I will try to become a respondent in the case in the
trial court to bring out the truth behind the deal` which
happened when Chandy was the Finance Minister in the UDF
Ministry headed by late K Karunakaran."
Referring to the vigilance probe report that gave a clean
chit to Chandy in the case, Achuthanandan said Vigilance
Department was part of the UDF Government headed by Chandy.
"This was for the first time in the history of the state,
Vigilance prepared a forged document to save its master", he
The Special Prosecutor, PA Ahmed, appointed by CPI-M led
LDF government, resigned from the post yesterday expressing
"dissatisfaction" over the conclusion of a further probe
report of Vigilance which gave a clean chit to Chandy in the
The further investigation ordered by a special court last
year focused on whether Chandy had any role in the deal. The
report by the Vigilance last month had found that Chandy had
no role in palmolein import corruption case.
In its report filed at a special court in Thrissur, the
Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau said its probe did not
come across any proof that suggested Chandy`s role in the
The case related to the import of 32,000 tonnes of
palmolein from Malayasia in 1992 allegedly causing a loss of
Rs 2.32 crores to the exchequer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know