Human chain protest for speedy implementation of Metro in Kochi
Kochi: Thousands of people from various walks of life on Saturday took part in the CPI-M-sponsored human chain here pressing for speedy implementation of the Rs 5,181 crore Kochi Metro Rail project, the foundation stone of which was laid by Prime minister Manmohan Singh last month.
The protesters forming the human chain along a distance of 25 km route from Aluva-Petta also demanded that the execution of the project should be handed over to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and Metroman E Sreedharan.
They included CPI(M) state Secretary, Pinarayi Vijayan, former Supreme court judge V R Krishna Iyer, film director Ranjith, former Ministers S Sharma, M K Premachandran, Binoy Vishwam, M M Lawrence, P Rajeev, MP, former Union Minister, P C Thomas.
The protestors criticised the state government`s "lackadaisical" attitude in appointing Sreedharan to head the Kochi Metro project. Besides CPI(M), various organisations including the Merchants Association participated.
A crucial Kochi Metro Board meeting on Oct 19 here had failed to take a decision on the agency which will execute the project. The board was informed that DMRC will not take any work outside Delhi without permission of its board.
Meanwhile, Kerala Ports Minister K Babu alleged that the previous CPI(M) led LDF-Government had failed to do anything for the Kochi Metro project.
It was ironic that now, they were launching agitations for the project`s speedy implementation, Babu told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj