LDF walkout over suicide of Dalit youth
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M)-led LDF opposition in Kerala on Thursday staged a walkout in the Assembly, accusing the UDF government of taking lightly the alleged suicide of a Dalit youth who is suspected to have killed himself after being detained by the police.
Leading his colleagues out of the House after the
Speaker`s rejection of the adjournment notice on the issue,
deputy opposition leader Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said
marginalised communities in the state are living "with a sense
of insecurity as they failed to receive justice from law
Responding to the Opposition`s adjournment notice, Chief
Minister Oomen Chandy said the body of the 23-year-old youth
Sinu was found hanging in his house yesterday. The previous
night, he was taken into custody by police from the roadside
for allegedly creating scenes after consuming alcohol, he
He was let off the same night after medical examination,
which confirmed the charge against him, Chandy said.
Following the alleged suicide, the Sub-Inspector and
Assistant Sub-Inspector of Vithura police station were placed
under suspension last night and a case for unnatural death had
been registered, Chandy said.
Pressing for adjournment over the issue, Koliyakkode
Krishnan Nair (CPI-M) sought to know as to why the Government
was reluctant to register a case against the police officers
allegedly responsible for the death of the youth.
Speaker G Karthikeyan turned down the opposition plea for
an adjournment over the issue in the light of the Chief
Following the incident, Vithura, about 30 km from here,
and the adjoining areas remained tense yesterday with local
people blocking the road traffic and enforcing an hartal in
protest over the incident.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi