NGO plans free school to instruct citizens on rights and duties
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala-based NGO Mahatma Gandhi Foundation (MGF) has proposed to set up a free school to instruct citizens on the rights guranteed by the Indian constitution and their duties to the nation.
Named as "School of rights and duties", the facility would offer three-month courses to the candidates on the rights guaranteed to them by the constitution and the duties expected of them as responsible citizens, MGF Chairman Ebi J Jose said.
"A study conducted by MGF has found that a majority of people are not sufficiently aware of their constitutional rights. This results in exploitation of the majority by a privileged minority. If citizens are properly instructed of their rights,they could, to a great exetent, resist exploitation", Jose said in a release today .
"Similarly, it is important for responsible citizens to be conscious of their duties to the nation. In our formal educational syllabus, these basic issues are often not given due importance. Ours is a modest beginning to overcome these lacunae," Jose, also director of the venture, said.
Even many of those young persons who choose political and social careers were not adequately aware of these aspects and this was the cause for lack proper perspective in their approach, he said.
Jose said the MGF planned to start the course at Kottayam on January 26, 2013, on the Republic Day of the nation.
Before finalising the syllabus and the course structure, views of public would be elicitated on the webesite schoolorindia@gmail.Com, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks