NGO plans free school to instruct citizens on rights and duties
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala-based NGO Mahatma Gandhi Foundation (MGF) has proposed to set up a free school to instruct citizens on the rights guranteed by the Indian constitution and their duties to the nation.
Named as "School of rights and duties", the facility would offer three-month courses to the candidates on the rights guaranteed to them by the constitution and the duties expected of them as responsible citizens, MGF Chairman Ebi J Jose said.
"A study conducted by MGF has found that a majority of people are not sufficiently aware of their constitutional rights. This results in exploitation of the majority by a privileged minority. If citizens are properly instructed of their rights,they could, to a great exetent, resist exploitation", Jose said in a release today .
"Similarly, it is important for responsible citizens to be conscious of their duties to the nation. In our formal educational syllabus, these basic issues are often not given due importance. Ours is a modest beginning to overcome these lacunae," Jose, also director of the venture, said.
Even many of those young persons who choose political and social careers were not adequately aware of these aspects and this was the cause for lack proper perspective in their approach, he said.
Jose said the MGF planned to start the course at Kottayam on January 26, 2013, on the Republic Day of the nation.
Before finalising the syllabus and the course structure, views of public would be elicitated on the webesite schoolorindia@gmail.Com, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview
- Ready to pay additional Rs 300 crore, Sahara chief Subrata Roy tells SC
- SpaceX Dragon cargo craft departs International Space Station
- Modi-inspired khadi outfits for Goa officials every Friday