SC notice to Kerala Police on Italian ship
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday issued notice to Kerala Police and the state`s mercantile marine department on a petition by the owners of Italian ship MT Enrica Lexie seeking a direction for its release so that it could continue with its voyage, having been detained after two of its crew killed two Indian fishermen in February.
Notice has also been issued to the central government and one Goramma, the widow of one of the two fishermen who were killed by the Italian Marines on board the ship.
The apex court bench headed by Justice RM Lodha issued notice after senior counsel KK Venugopal said the two Italian Marines were already in police custody and their firearms had been seized.
The senior counsel told the court that the ship had nothing to do with the offence and in no way formed the property of the case.
The petition by the ship MT Enrica Lexie has challenged the Kerala High Court order detaining the Italian ship by staying the single judge order that permitted the ship to go.
The apex court was told that a 100,000 tonne ship has incurred a loss of Rs.200 crore ever since it was detained at the Kochi port and its losses were adding up every day.
The two Indian fishermen were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the marines aboard Enrica Lexie Feb 15 off the coast of Alappuzha, Kerala.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read