Bahrain diplomat booked for molestation, verbal abuse
Mumbai: Amid the row over Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade`s arrest in the US, a Bahrainian envoy has been booked here for allegedly molesting the woman manager of his housing society but not arrested due to the diplomatic immunity he enjoys, police said on Wednesday.
A case has been registered against Consul General of Bahrain, Mohammed Abdulaziz Al Khaja, for molesting and verbally abusing on December 9 the manager of the south Mumbai society, police said.
In her complaint, the 49-year-old victim alleged that Khaja had lost his cool after one of the elevators of the building was shut for repairs on December 9.
He was slamming the doors of the elevator when she saw him and requested him to maintain his cool as the elevator was under repair. However, Khaja did not stop and even ransacked her office in a fit of rage, police said quoting the complainant.
The victim also alleged that Khaja had touched her and used abusive language during the commotion, police said.
She approached the Malabar Hill police which conducted a preliminary inquiry and registered a complaint. However, police did not rush to put Khaja behind bars as he enjoys diplomatic immunity. Police said Khaja allegedly tried to create ruckus again on December 20 in the building.
The woman said she has been working in the society for the last 10 years. The Bahranian diplomat has been living there for the last five years.
Khaja has been booked under sections 354 (molestation), 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code, Malabar Hill police station senior inspector Vinay Bagade said, declining to divulge further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics