Bahrain diplomat booked for molestation, verbal abuse
Mumbai: Amid the row over Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade`s arrest in the US, a Bahrainian envoy has been booked here for allegedly molesting the woman manager of his housing society but not arrested due to the diplomatic immunity he enjoys, police said on Wednesday.
A case has been registered against Consul General of Bahrain, Mohammed Abdulaziz Al Khaja, for molesting and verbally abusing on December 9 the manager of the south Mumbai society, police said.
In her complaint, the 49-year-old victim alleged that Khaja had lost his cool after one of the elevators of the building was shut for repairs on December 9.
He was slamming the doors of the elevator when she saw him and requested him to maintain his cool as the elevator was under repair. However, Khaja did not stop and even ransacked her office in a fit of rage, police said quoting the complainant.
The victim also alleged that Khaja had touched her and used abusive language during the commotion, police said.
She approached the Malabar Hill police which conducted a preliminary inquiry and registered a complaint. However, police did not rush to put Khaja behind bars as he enjoys diplomatic immunity. Police said Khaja allegedly tried to create ruckus again on December 20 in the building.
The woman said she has been working in the society for the last 10 years. The Bahranian diplomat has been living there for the last five years.
Khaja has been booked under sections 354 (molestation), 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code, Malabar Hill police station senior inspector Vinay Bagade said, declining to divulge further details.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India