I-T notice to Munde on poll expenditure remark
Mumbai: In more trouble for senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, facing an Election Commission`s show cause notice for his poll spending remark, the Income Tax department has issued a notice seeking his explanation within a week.
"We have served a notice to Munde", confirmed an IT official on Wednesday.
He said that the department has sought explanation from Munde on his claims that he had spent Rs 8 crore towards campaigning for Lok Sabha election he had contested from Beed constituency in 2009.
Munde had made the remark at a book release function, also attended by Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi, held here on June 27.
Taking cognisance of Munde`s claims, the Election Commission had slapped a show-cause notice on the BJP`s deputy leader in Lok Sabha.
"I spent Rs 29,000 when I contested my first Assembly poll in 1980 but spent Rs 8 crore in my last (2009 Lok Sabha) election", Munde had said.
While Munde, who is out of Mumbai, was unavailable for comment, sources close to him alleged that NCP chief Sharad Pawar and his nephew Ajit Pawar had hatched a conspiracy to malign Munde`s image.
"This is a conspiracy hatched by the Pawars. NCP wants to target Munde as he is a mass leader and the party perceives him as a threat.
"Asking Munde`s nephew Dhananjay to quit as BJP MLC yesterday is part of the process," they claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!