I-T notice to Munde on poll expenditure remark
Mumbai: In more trouble for senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, facing an Election Commission`s show cause notice for his poll spending remark, the Income Tax department has issued a notice seeking his explanation within a week.
"We have served a notice to Munde", confirmed an IT official on Wednesday.
He said that the department has sought explanation from Munde on his claims that he had spent Rs 8 crore towards campaigning for Lok Sabha election he had contested from Beed constituency in 2009.
Munde had made the remark at a book release function, also attended by Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi, held here on June 27.
Taking cognisance of Munde`s claims, the Election Commission had slapped a show-cause notice on the BJP`s deputy leader in Lok Sabha.
"I spent Rs 29,000 when I contested my first Assembly poll in 1980 but spent Rs 8 crore in my last (2009 Lok Sabha) election", Munde had said.
While Munde, who is out of Mumbai, was unavailable for comment, sources close to him alleged that NCP chief Sharad Pawar and his nephew Ajit Pawar had hatched a conspiracy to malign Munde`s image.
"This is a conspiracy hatched by the Pawars. NCP wants to target Munde as he is a mass leader and the party perceives him as a threat.
"Asking Munde`s nephew Dhananjay to quit as BJP MLC yesterday is part of the process," they claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!