NCP will support harsher punishment for rape: Pawar
Amravati (Mah): Union Agriculture Minister and Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar on Monday said here that his party would support any bill providing for more stringent punishment to rapists.
Pawar, while addressing a women`s rally here, referred to the Delhi gangrape incident, and observed that in our society the victim of the rape carries a stigma, while the culprit goes on with his life without getting punished.
"I personally feel that such offenders must get a very stringent punishment. If the Centre comes out with any such proposal, NCP MPs would support it," Pawar said.
He also said that reservations were necessary for women in various sectors, and his party had always backed them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw
- Subramaian Swamy targets GST Network again; will write to Amit Shah, BJP CMs
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: As it happened...