NCP will support harsher punishment for rape: Pawar
Amravati (Mah): Union Agriculture Minister and Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar on Monday said here that his party would support any bill providing for more stringent punishment to rapists.
Pawar, while addressing a women`s rally here, referred to the Delhi gangrape incident, and observed that in our society the victim of the rape carries a stigma, while the culprit goes on with his life without getting punished.
"I personally feel that such offenders must get a very stringent punishment. If the Centre comes out with any such proposal, NCP MPs would support it," Pawar said.
He also said that reservations were necessary for women in various sectors, and his party had always backed them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur