President telephones Thackeray to enquire about health
Mumbai: President Pranab Mukherjee telephoned ailing Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray to enquire after his health, the party said Sunday.
A statement in party mouthpiece Saamna said the president made detailed enquiries about Thackeray`s health during the telephone call Saturday.
Concerns were raised about Thackeray`s health in the party after he could not attend the annual Shiv Sena Dassehra rally at Shivaji Park last Wednesday. The 86-year-old leader addressed the party workers through a video message.
During the brief speech, Thackeray appeared to be breathless, at times incoherent and feeling tired. In fact he admitted that he was feeling "weary" and unwell.
Mukherjee enjoys a special rapport with Thackeray, who extended his party`s unconditional support to him during the presidential election four months ago.
In a return gesture, despite a busy schedule during his first visit to Mumbai last fortnight, Mukherjee took time out to meet Thackeray.
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry
- Defending migrant deal, EU seeks end of visas for Turks
- Bengal polls end on Thursday; enclave dwellers to vote for first time
- Azam calls Adityanath 'frustrated', advises him to get married
- Tamil Nadu polls: Branding Congress, AIADMK, DMK as corrupt, Amit Shah seeks mandate for BJP