Skeletal remains found in Navi Mumbai linked to missing woman
Mumbai: Skeletal remains, suspected to be of the wife of a senior Customs officer who went missing in mid-December, were found near a school in neighbouring Navi Mumbai, police said on Tuesday.
The skull and bones were found at a patch of marshy land near an elite school in Nerul area. The human remains were spotted by Michael Oates, a geologist, on Sunday near the missing woman`s residence, they said.
Police suspect the remains could be of Sandhya Singh, the sister of yesteryear actresses Sulakshana and Vijeta Pandit, who has not been seen since last month.
Sandhya`s two brothers are noted Bollywood music composers Jatin-Lalit.
The unidentified remains were sent for scientific examination. Only forensic analysis and examination of DNA samples would conclude if the remains were of Sandhya or not, police said.
Sandhya (50) is not traceable since December 13 when she went to a bank in Nerul carrying jewellery worth around Rs 20 lakh with her, police said.
She stayed with her family at NRI Colony in Seawoods, Nerul, a few meters away from the spot where the body was found.
Her husband, Jaiprakash Singh, Customs and Central Excise Commissioner, is posted in Indore, they said.
Singh told a news agency by phone, "My son Raghuveer, who was taken to the spot by cops, has told me that hair switch, "mahakal` (religious) thread and dental cavity found on the remains indicated that they were of Sandhya."
"Lalit also feels the remains were of Sandhya," Singh, who is rushing to Mumbai, said. But he immediately added, "However, we are waiting for forensic laboratory reports and praying to God that our fears do not come true."
According to Singh, on December 13 Sandhya was on her way to the local branch of Abhyudaya Co-op Bank, about 3km from her residence, to deposit the jewellery in the locker.
Sandhya was dropped near the bank by her friend Uma Gaur, who was in a car, and since then she has been missing, a police officer said.
Singh suspects his wife may have fallen prey to a trap laid by somebody. He had announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for information on whereabouts of Sandhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in