Verify properties before purchase: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Disposing of a clutch of petitions seeking regularisation of illegal floors in a building at Navi Mumbai, the Bombay High Court has cautioned the flat buyers to verify properties they intend to buy before purchasing them and refrain from approaching the courts to seek redressal.
The observation was made by Justice A M Khanwilkar and Justice S S Shinde on June 11 while hearing petitions filed by a developer and some others seeking regularisation of "illegal" structures/floors in building `Green Heritage` at Khargar in Navi Mumbai, near here.
Referring to an earlier judgement of the same court, the bench held that although flat buyers may be aggrieved but their interests cannot override those of the members of public at large. Their individual rights and interests are subservient to the concerns for public health and safety.
"Ultimately, if they purchase flats without bothering to make inquiries and seeking details of the construction at site, then, they are themselves to blame", the judges said.
"In this era, where science and technology have advanced to a great extent so enactments such as Right to Information Act are in place, it is not unreasonable to expect that the flat purchasers should avail of the same and seek appropriate and relevant details of the construction before booking and purchasing flats in large scale building projects", the bench opined.
If they (flat buyers) are carried away by the brochure and the public advertisements and do not make such inquiries, then, they cannot turn around and seek assistance of the Courts, the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert