Verify properties before purchase: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Disposing of a clutch of petitions seeking regularisation of illegal floors in a building at Navi Mumbai, the Bombay High Court has cautioned the flat buyers to verify properties they intend to buy before purchasing them and refrain from approaching the courts to seek redressal.
The observation was made by Justice A M Khanwilkar and Justice S S Shinde on June 11 while hearing petitions filed by a developer and some others seeking regularisation of "illegal" structures/floors in building `Green Heritage` at Khargar in Navi Mumbai, near here.
Referring to an earlier judgement of the same court, the bench held that although flat buyers may be aggrieved but their interests cannot override those of the members of public at large. Their individual rights and interests are subservient to the concerns for public health and safety.
"Ultimately, if they purchase flats without bothering to make inquiries and seeking details of the construction at site, then, they are themselves to blame", the judges said.
"In this era, where science and technology have advanced to a great extent so enactments such as Right to Information Act are in place, it is not unreasonable to expect that the flat purchasers should avail of the same and seek appropriate and relevant details of the construction before booking and purchasing flats in large scale building projects", the bench opined.
If they (flat buyers) are carried away by the brochure and the public advertisements and do not make such inquiries, then, they cannot turn around and seek assistance of the Courts, the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack