Anna Hazare led civil society under attack in LS
New Delhi: Anna Hazare led civil society on Sunday came under scathing attack in the Lok Sabha with RJD chief Lalu Prasad saying any design to target the Constitution and Parliament should be thwarted.
"In the name of Lokpal, a move is on to destroy the country and Parliament, which is the law making body. They are using the language of gheraoing the MPs...They are calling us thieves and dacoits," he said participating in the discussion on the completion of 60 years of Lok Sabha`s first sitting.
Despite Parliament being the law making body they want to place someone else on our head, he said, adding that there is a deep rooted conspiracy to devalue and defame Parliament.
Without taking the name of Hazare and the civil society, he said on this occasion members should resolve not to allow any damage to Parliament, which is the biggest democratic institution in the world.
Echoing similar concerns, Asaduddin Owaisi (MIM) said fringe elements cannot be allowed to override the supremacy of Parliament.
In a veiled reference to the issue, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said, "once our norms of accountability improve, cynicism with regard to Parliament and Parliamentary functions will have to be brought to an end. Cynicism leads to anger, anger can lead to crowd on roads.
"But it is Parliament, which is accountable. Mobs are never accountable. Therefore, there is no substitute for Parliamentary institutions and a popular faith as far as its functioning is concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka