Bill for quota to SC/STs in promotions on Aug 22
New Delhi: After repeated adjournments in Rajya Sabha and turmoil in Lok Sabha, the government on Thursday agreed to members` demand for bringing a Constitution amendment bill for reservation in promotion of SCs and STs in state jobs.
Minister of State for PMO V Narayansamy informed the Upper House that a bill will be brought in this regard on August 22 after an all-party meeting, which will discuss the issue on August 21.
"The Prime Minister will call a meeting of leaders of all political parties on 21st of this month to discuss the issue of SC/ST reservation. This has been the demand of the honourbale members. On August 22, the government will be able to bring the bill in the House," Narayanasamy said bringing the uproar over the issue to an end.
The announcement came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh talked to the members including BSP chief Mayawati on the issue in the House when it was adjourned for 15 minutes.
In the Lok Sabha, SP and BSP members trooped to the Well as soon as the House met for the day demanding reservation for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs.
With members refusing to relent, Speaker Meira Kumar allowed some of them to speak.
Shailendra Kumar (SP) said there was fear in the minds of a number of SC/ST government employees on the lack of reservations in promotions.
Panna Lal Punia (Cong) said Parliament had given SC/ST persons the right to reservation in government jobs and five persons cannot take away this right.
Dara Singh Chauhan (BSP) demanded that the SC/ST employees should be granted reservation in promotion in government jobs immediately.
In the Rajya Sabha, BSP supremo Mayawati said government had promised during in the last session to call an all-party meeting to discuss quota in promotion for SC and ST persons, but the meeting did not take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire