Bill for quota to SC/STs in promotions on Aug 22
New Delhi: After repeated adjournments in Rajya Sabha and turmoil in Lok Sabha, the government on Thursday agreed to members` demand for bringing a Constitution amendment bill for reservation in promotion of SCs and STs in state jobs.
Minister of State for PMO V Narayansamy informed the Upper House that a bill will be brought in this regard on August 22 after an all-party meeting, which will discuss the issue on August 21.
"The Prime Minister will call a meeting of leaders of all political parties on 21st of this month to discuss the issue of SC/ST reservation. This has been the demand of the honourbale members. On August 22, the government will be able to bring the bill in the House," Narayanasamy said bringing the uproar over the issue to an end.
The announcement came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh talked to the members including BSP chief Mayawati on the issue in the House when it was adjourned for 15 minutes.
In the Lok Sabha, SP and BSP members trooped to the Well as soon as the House met for the day demanding reservation for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs.
With members refusing to relent, Speaker Meira Kumar allowed some of them to speak.
Shailendra Kumar (SP) said there was fear in the minds of a number of SC/ST government employees on the lack of reservations in promotions.
Panna Lal Punia (Cong) said Parliament had given SC/ST persons the right to reservation in government jobs and five persons cannot take away this right.
Dara Singh Chauhan (BSP) demanded that the SC/ST employees should be granted reservation in promotion in government jobs immediately.
In the Rajya Sabha, BSP supremo Mayawati said government had promised during in the last session to call an all-party meeting to discuss quota in promotion for SC and ST persons, but the meeting did not take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media
- 'Aam Aadmi Party has anti-women character'
- WATCH: 4 wickets in 6 balls - When Ajit Agarkar bowled devastating last over against Australia
- Watch: Special 'Justice League' Comic-Con 2016 footage will give you goosebumps!