‘Cong also wants Tamils to live safely in Lanka’
Coimbatore: The Centre and Congress wanted Tamils to live safely and lead a secure life with equal rights in Sri Lanka, Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan said on Saturday.
Vasan evaded a direct reply when asked about the ban on the conference of Tamil Eelam Supporters Association, convened by the forum`s founder leader and DMK chief M Karunanidhi tomorrow at Chennai, but said his party wanted all Tamils across the globe to be protected.
Replying to a specific question on the conference, Vasan told reporters at the city airport on his way to Erode that the association also has the similar goal and fighting for the cause of well-being of Tamils in the Island Nation.
Both the Centre and Congress have taken various measures to protect the rights of Tamils there, he said.
Congress, a key ally of DMK in the ruling UPA, has dissociated itself from the conference. Police have refused permission for the TESO meet.
To a question on corruption and agitation by Anna Hazare and Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev, Vasan said people saw "the real face of Team Anna, and people would also know the intention of Ramdev soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player