Govt orders special software for blind
New Delhi: In a step that would bring relief to scores of blind persons aspiring for clerical jobs across the country, the government has decided to provide them a
special keyboard and screen reading software while appearing for recruitment tests.
The order of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will be applicable for the recruitment tests scheduled in the first fortnight of this month.
"Candidates with visual impairment be allowed the choice of the key board layout that is compatible with Mangal font for taking the skill tests. The appropriate key board layout together with the compatible screen reading software such as JAWS, SAFA for the purpose of skill test be provided either by SSC at the venue of the test or the visually impaired candidates be allowed to use their own computer/laptop for the skill test," the January six order by Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities PK Pincha to the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) said.
The step will help those visually impaired aspirants who apply for the SSC-advertised posts of Stenographers and Lower Division Clerks (LDCs) and have to undertake a computer-based skill test.
A public interest complaint was filed by an NGO—All India Confederation of the Blind with the Ministry in this regard pleading that in the absence of such an arrangement, the governments policy of reserving one per cent posts for visually impaired people cannot be "maintained" as they cannot compete fairly.
The Chief Commissioner also ordered the SSC to ensure "that the softwares are loaded in the computers well in advance so that the concerned candidates with visual impairment are not put to any last minute confusion.
"The Chief Commissioner for Persons of Disabilities functions under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Pincha has also asked the SSC to file an action taken report by January 25 and the matter will again be taken up on February 3 after SSC files its reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'