HC rejects Team Anna plea over MMRDA ground
Mumbai: In a setback to Team Anna, the
Bombay High Court today rejected its petition for direction to
Maharashtra government for allotting MMRDA ground for free or
at concessional rates for Anna Hazare`s fast, saying it cannot
come to the conclusion if the agitation was in public interest
or politically motivated.
The court also said it cannot direct the government to
open the gates to the enclosed area in Azad Maidan, another
probable venue for the proposed 3-day fast from December 27,
to allow Team Anna larger space for the protest.
"We are afraid that such issues cannot be decided by
the court. This court cannot come to the conclusion as to
whether this agitation is in public interest or politically
motivated," a division bench of Justices P B Majmudar and
Mridula Bhatkar observed while rejecting the petition filed by
Jagrut Nagrik Manch, an affiliate of Hazare`s India Against
"It cannot be said that the petitioners have
undertaken a national event for the MMRDA to exempt them from
rent for the ground," Justice Majmudar said.
The court said another ground for rejecting the plea
was that the petitioner was not a registered social
organisation, a mandatory requirement for seeking concession
When Mahendra Ghelani, advocate for the petitioner,
told the court that they would file another application to
MMRDA through a registered organisation, the court said they
could do that and the state-run body shall consider it on
merit and according to their discretion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly