HRD Ministry issues notice for minority sub-quota
New Delhi: With the government giving its nod to a sub-quota for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, the HRD Ministry has issued a gazette
notification for its implementation in all central educational institutions.
The decision would cover admissions in technical institutions such as the IITs, IIMs, NITs and over 40 Central universities and educational institutions like National
Institute of Design.
The Union Cabinet had on December 22 approved a sub-quota of 4.5 percent for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, paving the way for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for minorities.
The decision will come into effect from January 1, 2012.
According to HRD Ministry officials, the 4.5 percent reservation would result in roughly 120 seats earmarked for minorities in the IITs while in the IIMs with a total intake
of nearly 3500 students, 42 seats would go to students from minority communities.
Meanwhile, the five-year deadline for Central educational institutions to implement 27 per cent OBC reservation in a phased manner ends next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP