HRD Ministry issues notice for minority sub-quota
New Delhi: With the government giving its nod to a sub-quota for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, the HRD Ministry has issued a gazette
notification for its implementation in all central educational institutions.
The decision would cover admissions in technical institutions such as the IITs, IIMs, NITs and over 40 Central universities and educational institutions like National
Institute of Design.
The Union Cabinet had on December 22 approved a sub-quota of 4.5 percent for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, paving the way for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for minorities.
The decision will come into effect from January 1, 2012.
According to HRD Ministry officials, the 4.5 percent reservation would result in roughly 120 seats earmarked for minorities in the IITs while in the IIMs with a total intake
of nearly 3500 students, 42 seats would go to students from minority communities.
Meanwhile, the five-year deadline for Central educational institutions to implement 27 per cent OBC reservation in a phased manner ends next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh's BNP to hold countrywide protest on Wednesday
- Hyderabad police mulls 'designated driver' concept to check drunken driving
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray favours 'Sharia-type' law to tackle rape
- Parsi population dips by 18 per cent between 2001-2011
- Sebastian Vettel supports world champions Lewis Hamilton over yellow-flag row with Nico Rosberg