HRD Ministry issues notice for minority sub-quota
New Delhi: With the government giving its nod to a sub-quota for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, the HRD Ministry has issued a gazette
notification for its implementation in all central educational institutions.
The decision would cover admissions in technical institutions such as the IITs, IIMs, NITs and over 40 Central universities and educational institutions like National
Institute of Design.
The Union Cabinet had on December 22 approved a sub-quota of 4.5 percent for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, paving the way for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for minorities.
The decision will come into effect from January 1, 2012.
According to HRD Ministry officials, the 4.5 percent reservation would result in roughly 120 seats earmarked for minorities in the IITs while in the IIMs with a total intake
of nearly 3500 students, 42 seats would go to students from minority communities.
Meanwhile, the five-year deadline for Central educational institutions to implement 27 per cent OBC reservation in a phased manner ends next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster