HRD Ministry issues notice for minority sub-quota
New Delhi: With the government giving its nod to a sub-quota for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, the HRD Ministry has issued a gazette
notification for its implementation in all central educational institutions.
The decision would cover admissions in technical institutions such as the IITs, IIMs, NITs and over 40 Central universities and educational institutions like National
Institute of Design.
The Union Cabinet had on December 22 approved a sub-quota of 4.5 percent for minorities within the 27 percent reservation for OBCs, paving the way for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for minorities.
The decision will come into effect from January 1, 2012.
According to HRD Ministry officials, the 4.5 percent reservation would result in roughly 120 seats earmarked for minorities in the IITs while in the IIMs with a total intake
of nearly 3500 students, 42 seats would go to students from minority communities.
Meanwhile, the five-year deadline for Central educational institutions to implement 27 per cent OBC reservation in a phased manner ends next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video