Minority reservation unconstitutional: BJP
New Delhi: Condemning government’s move to give 4.5% reservation to Muslims, the main Opposition, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday said that this move is unconstitutional.
Accusing the government of acting for the appeasement of minorities, the saffron party said, government is compromising with the interests of the OBCs.
Prior to the announcement, the Uttar Pradesh wing of BJP submitted a memorandum to the state Governor BL Joshi, opposing the Centre`s move to grant reservation for backward Muslims under OBC quota.
A party delegation met the Governor and submitted the memorandum against the proposed seven per cent quota for backward Muslims within 27 per cent quota for OBCs, a press release issued by BJP here said.
"Backward Muslims are already covered under 27 per cent quota for backwards and fixing separate quota on the basis of religion is against the Constitution," the memorandum said.
The delegation was led the party`s Kisan Morcha president in-charge of backward`s cell, Sushil Shakya.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video