Minority reservation unconstitutional: BJP
New Delhi: Condemning government’s move to give 4.5% reservation to Muslims, the main Opposition, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday said that this move is unconstitutional.
Accusing the government of acting for the appeasement of minorities, the saffron party said, government is compromising with the interests of the OBCs.
Prior to the announcement, the Uttar Pradesh wing of BJP submitted a memorandum to the state Governor BL Joshi, opposing the Centre`s move to grant reservation for backward Muslims under OBC quota.
A party delegation met the Governor and submitted the memorandum against the proposed seven per cent quota for backward Muslims within 27 per cent quota for OBCs, a press release issued by BJP here said.
"Backward Muslims are already covered under 27 per cent quota for backwards and fixing separate quota on the basis of religion is against the Constitution," the memorandum said.
The delegation was led the party`s Kisan Morcha president in-charge of backward`s cell, Sushil Shakya.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections