Minority reservation unconstitutional: BJP
New Delhi: Condemning government’s move to give 4.5% reservation to Muslims, the main Opposition, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday said that this move is unconstitutional.
Accusing the government of acting for the appeasement of minorities, the saffron party said, government is compromising with the interests of the OBCs.
Prior to the announcement, the Uttar Pradesh wing of BJP submitted a memorandum to the state Governor BL Joshi, opposing the Centre`s move to grant reservation for backward Muslims under OBC quota.
A party delegation met the Governor and submitted the memorandum against the proposed seven per cent quota for backward Muslims within 27 per cent quota for OBCs, a press release issued by BJP here said.
"Backward Muslims are already covered under 27 per cent quota for backwards and fixing separate quota on the basis of religion is against the Constitution," the memorandum said.
The delegation was led the party`s Kisan Morcha president in-charge of backward`s cell, Sushil Shakya.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh