Rapes taking place under the nose of PM: Natwar Singh
Jaipur: Launching a scathing attack on the Congress, its former leader Natwar Singh on Sunday alleged that the UPA government has failed to ensure safety for women and shameful incidents like rape are taking place "under the nose of Prime Minister".
"The country is facing difficult times for last nine years (of UPA rule). Rapes are taking place under the nose of PM Manmohan Singh and it will take another 18 years to restore a situation where women can feel safe," Natwar said here.
Sharing dais with BJP leader Vasundhara Raje and a section of Jat representatives at a function here, Natwar, the former External Affairs Minister who quit Congress in wake of the alleged food-for-oil scam, suggested self-defence trainings for girls and sought to equip them with martial arts skills.
"Girls should be given self-defence training and Judo and Karate courses should be included in the curriculum to enable girls to protect themselves, because women are not safe in the rule of Central (UPA) government," he said.
Announcing his support to the BJP, Natwar expressed confidence that Raje will not only become the next CM of the state, she can also rise to the ranks of Prime Minister.
In the function, rebel Congress leader Hari Singh said he and his supporters will back BJP in the upcoming Assembly elections.
"The decision has been taken to support Raje and we have to vow to make her next Chief Minister of Rajasthan," Hari Singh said.
He said the formalities of their joining will be completed later.
BJP MP Bhupendra Yadav, former state ministers Usha Poonia, former MLA Prem Singh Bajor were also present in the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday