Working with India to accelerate clean energy revolution: US
Washington: The US is working closely with India to accelerate its clean energy revolution and address the impacts of climate change, the White House said on Friday.
"We are working closely with India to accelerate its clean energy revolution and address the impacts of climate change in vulnerable communities," said a White House fact sheet said as it announced a new strategy to reduce methane emission.
The strategy summarises the sources of methane emissions, commits to new steps to cut emissions of this potent greenhouse gas, and outlines the Administration`s efforts to improve the measurement of these emissions.
It builds on progress to date and takes steps to further cut methane emissions from landfills, coal mining, and agriculture, and oil and gas systems through cost-effective voluntary actions and common-sense standards.
As part of the Quadrennial Energy Review, and through DOE-convened roundtables, the Administration will identify "downstream" methane reduction opportunities.
Taking action to curb methane waste and pollution is important because emissions of methane make up nearly 9 per cent of all the greenhouse gas emitted as a result of human activity in the United States.
Since 1990, methane pollution in the United States has decreased by 11 percent, even as activities that can produce methane have increased.
However, methane pollution is projected to increase to a level equivalent to over 620 million tons of carbon dioxide pollution in 2030 absent additional action to reduce emissions.
"When fully implemented, the policies in the methane strategy will improve public health and safety while recovering otherwise wasted energy to power our communities, farms, factories, and power plants," the White House said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata