Cars could be next target of cyber attacks
Washington: Researchers have suggested that cars could one day become the victim of cyber attacks that will compromise electronic systems and endanger passenger safety.
The following scenario has been suggested by researchers at the University of California San Diego and the University of Washington.
Cars have ceased being purely mechanical machines and already have a huge amount of electronics that are controlled by thousands of lines of software code that relay critical data over onboard computer networks.
As vehicles are integrated with mobile phones and gain internet access, bluetooth connections, infotainment services, diagnostics, telematics and downloadable apps, there is a risk that they can also suffer the same viruses and malicious cyber attacks that cause problems in other IT systems.
However, carmakers and suppliers have said that this is currently a purely theoretical problem and there are no known cases of a cyber attack causing a car to crash.
Hackers are often not motivated by financial gain but simply wish to prove their ability to crack a system for the bragging rights.
Therefore, as the automobile industry is moving towards a future of "autonomous" driving, where vehicles are able to steer and brake by themselves, carmakers are also waking up to the potential risks of the "connected vehicle" and investing lots of resources to prevent safety-critical systems from getting compromised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next