Former Arunachal minister Wangnia Pongte dies in road accident
Itanagar: Former Arunachal Minister Wangnia Pongte died in a road mishap at Dhemaji in neighbouring Assam. Pongte (60), was on his way to Changlang when his vehicle collided with a SUV yesterday, leaving him injured.
He was rushed to the Dhemaji civil hospital, where he was declared dead, official sources said here today.
Pongte is survived by wife, two sons and two daughters.
State Governor Nirbhay Sharma and Chief Minister Nabam Tuki joined the state in mourning the death of Pongte.
The state government declared state mourning today as a mark of respect to the departed leader.
The national flag flew half mast while a holiday will be declared in Changlang district tomorrow, the day of his funeral, sources said.
Describing his untimely death a great loss to the state and its people, especially for the Tutsa community, the governor conveyed his heartfelt condolence to the bereaved family and prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul.
"The information has come as shock to me. This is a moment of tragedy and I, on behalf of the state government and the people of the state, convey heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family members," the chief minister said in a message.
Pongte, a footballer, after graduating from JNC, Pasighat, joined the state government as a circle officer in 1978 but resigned in 1984 to plunge into politics.
He contested as an independent candidate and lost by a margin of 6 votes before being elected to the state assembly in 1990 and served as MoS (Independent charge) for Research, Library, Labour and Agriculture; re-elected in 2004 and served as chairman of Arunachal Pradesh Mineral Development Trading Corporation.
He had proven his calibre as a student leader since 1968 and served in various capacities including as AAPSU joint secretary (1970) and general secretary (1974-76).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow