Indo-China troops jointly welcome 2014 in Arunachal Pradesh
Kolkata: In a rare bonhomie, Indian and Chinese soldiers celebrated the New Year together in Arunachal Pradesh`s Bumla Pass, from where the Chinese army had launched its aggression in the 1962 Sino-India war, officials said here Friday.
During a meeting organised by the Eastern Command`s Tawang Garrison under Gajraj Corps at Bumla, at an elevation of around 16,000 feet, troops from the two neighbouring countries jointly celebrated the arrival of 2014 on Wednesday.
Soldiers from both the sides greeted each other and their families with friendly handshakes, exchange of pleasantries and sweets on the occasion.
Army officials recalled that it was for the first time that uniformed personnel from both sides got together at Bumla amidst a cordial atmosphere on such an occasion.
Bumla, located a few kilometres away from Tawang on the Indo-China border, is the last Army post in Tawang district.
Women officers from both sides also participated in the joint celebration. The first time initiative was lauded by all present with both sides pledging to continue such initiatives in future as well.
The delegations re-affirmed their commitment in maintaining peace and tranquility along the Sino-Indian borders as per Border Peace and Tranquility Agreement (BPTA) and the recently concluded Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA).
"Such meetings help to further enhance communication and cooperation between the border troops in order to promote friendly ties between the two countries," an Army official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note